A school is a location where education services are provided. In order to enrol students and provide courses of instruction, a school must be registered under the Education and Early Childhood services (Registration and Standards) Act 2011 (SA).
Schools are registered to provide courses of instruction to specific year levels.
Schools registered to provide education services can be viewed in our Schools Register.
Registered schools seeking to provide courses of instruction to school-aged overseas full-fee-paying students must apply for endorsement on the CRICOS register.
Schools Register eligibility
Schools are eligible for registration on the Schools Register if, on application, the Education Standards Board is satisfied that the:
- nature and content of the instruction offered, or to be offered, at the school is satisfactory
- school provides adequate protection for the safety, health and welfare of its students
- school satisfies any other requirements set out in the regulations.
The regulations stipulate that the school must comply, or be able to comply, with the Standards for registration and review of registration of schools in South Australia.
It is an offence to operate a school without being on the Schools Register or to offer courses of instruction outside registration eligibility.
Intending to apply to register a new school
Organisations intending to apply to register a new school in South Australia are encouraged to initiate contact with us by submitting a Notice of intent to register a school in South Australia form.
We recommend you read the following documents relating to the registration of schools:
- Education and Early Childhood Services (Registration and Standards) Act 2011 (SA), Part 5: 'Registration of schools'
- Standards for registration and review of registration of schools in South Australia (the Standards)
- Evidence guide to using the Standards for registration of new or changed schools
After submitting the Notice of intent form, you will be contacted by a representative from the Education Standards Board to invite you to a pre-application meeting. The pre-application meeting is your best opportunity to ask any questions you may have before commencing your application. It will also provide you with information about:
- timelines for submission of your application and supporting evidence
- the registration process, including specific requirements relating to your proposal
- potential issues that may arise.
Applying to register a new school in South Australia
Applicants must apply to register a new school in South Australia using the Application to register a new school in South Australia.
On receipt of an application to register a new school we will provide instructions on how to upload your additional evidence to demonstrate that the proposed school has the capability to meet all Standards for Registration and Review of Registration of Schools in South Australia. All applications will be assessed against the Standards.
The evidence guide to using the Standards for registration of new or changed schools has been developed by the Education Standards Board to assist applicants to provide evidence to demonstrate the Standards.
Schools registration is ongoing. However, all new schools will undergo a review of registration within the first 12 to18 months of operation and at least once every five years.
All applications are subject to a $300 (GST free) application fee using a MasterCard or Visa credit card. Payment is required when submitting the form.