Respecting transgender and gender-diverse children
Recently the Education Standards Board has received enquiries from early childhood services about the education and care of transgender and gender-diverse children.
Approved providers are responsible for ensuring education and care is provided consistent with reg 155 of the Education and Care Services National Regulations (2011), which:
- encourages the children to express themselves and their opinions
- allows the children to undertake experiences that develop self-reliance and self-esteem
- maintains at all times the dignity and rights of each child
- gives each child positive guidance and encouragement toward acceptable behaviour
- has regard to the family and cultural values, age, physical and intellectual development and abilities of each child being educated and cared for by the service.
The resources below may help approved providers and nominated supervisors develop their understanding of transgender and gender diverse children’s needs and experiences. They provide ideas for support that could be offered to children and families and information to consider when reviewing your inclusive practice.
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital, South Australia
The Women's and Children's Hospital website has information about its Gender Diversity team.
- Beyond Blue
Families like mine is a guide for parents and families of young people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual,
gender diverse or who are questioning their sexuality or gender identity.
- Parents of Gender Diverse Children
There are links on this site for parents, professionals, and for allies.