Complaints relating to early childhood services
(This includes long day-care, family day-care, preschools and out of school hours care services.)
For legal information about the receipt and investigation of complaints relating to early childhood services, see the Education and Early Childhood Services (Registration and Standards) Act 2011, Section 260(d).
Anyone can report a complaint to the Education Standards Board if they have a concern about:
- non-compliance with the early childhood services legislation
- health, safety or wellbeing of any child within a service.
Before approaching us with a complaint, we normally expect you to discuss the matter with the service and attempt to resolve the issue.
Approved service providers are required to have:
- policies and procedures for dealing with complaints
- processes in place to ensure all grievances and complaints are addressed, investigated fairly and documented in a timely manner.
If you have been unable to resolve the issue with the service, or there are circumstances where it is not possible or appropriate for the complaint to be managed at the local level, you may lodge a complaint with us on 1800 882 413 or esb.complianceinvestigation [at] sa.gov.au.
Complaints will be:
- assessed for risk to the health, safety or wellbeing of any child
- investigated by an authorised officer
- reviewed for non-compliance with the legislation.
Action taken will:
- be based on the seriousness of the matter
- assess the level of risk to children.
We are unable to take complaints or investigate disputes about fees for early childhood services.