Staff must have a COVID-19 vaccine by 11 December
All staff and volunteers at education and care services and schools must have had at least one COVID-19 vaccination by 11 December. This is required under a direction from the State Coordinator.
This requirement applies in all government and non-government schools and in education and care services.
The purpose is to keep schools and education and care services running with the presence of COVID-19 in the community where possible. It is also to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 to children and young people, many of whom cannot be vaccinated yet.
Staff and volunteers who have not had their second dose by this date will need evidence of a booking for their second dose.
People with medical reasons for not being vaccinated will need to provide evidence of this.
If your service wants to discuss staffing arrangements because of this, please contact our Early Childhood Services Team by calling (08) 8226 0077 or email esb.earlychildhoodservices [at] sa.gov.au.
Approved providers of education and care services may be considering staffing arrangements after the vaccine mandate comes in. Here are five successful strategies to meet educator-to-child ratios shared with us by a local service:
- Contact recruitment agencies.
- Review your priority of access policy.
- Speak with families and negotiate bookings where possible.
- Cap your numbers/bookings.
- Use the provision within Regulation 126 (1A): educators employed on a probationary basis (three months) not required to comply with qualification requirements:
- Contact registered training organisations and recent school leavers who may have some transferable skills and knowledge for recruitment.