'No jab, no play' information update
We received this information from SA Health on Friday 14 August 2020:
Following changes to the South Australian Public Health Act 2011 (the Act), from 7 August 2020, children are not be able to enrol in or attend early childhood services unless all immunisation requirements are met.
Chief Public Health Officer (CPHO) approved exemptions under the Act
SA Health recognises the need to be responsive to community needs and adaptable as situations arise. Consequently, in response to identified issues, class exemptions have been created.
The CPHO has approved these class exemptions:
- all children aged less than seven months of age are exempt from the legislation
- all Aboriginal children have a six-week temporary exemption to enable services to request and collect records
- a temporary exemption for all children under the custody or guardianship of the Chief Executive of the Department for Child Protection
- a temporary exemption as children come under the custody or guardianship of the Chief Executive of the Department for Child Protection
- a temporary exemption as children transfer from the custody or guardianship of the Chief Executive of the Department for Child Protection to another guardian or to their parent.
Children on catch-up schedule
A child is registered for a catch-up schedule on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) when they have missed some vaccines as per the National Immunisation Program (NIP) schedule.
If the child’s immunisation history statement indicates the child is on a catch-up schedule then the child meets the immunisation requirements and is eligible to attend early childhood services. This reflects the immunisation requirements under the A New Tax System (Family Assistance) Act 1999 (Cwlth).
Previous information published prior to 14 August 2020 stated that a child’s record needed to indicate they were ‘up to date’ to meet the immunisation requirement.
The 'Early childhood services and immunisation requirements' section of the SA Health website is being update to reflect the changes.