Keeping kids mentally well, active and informed
Children and young people need to feel safe and be active, even when their lives have changed dramatically during this pandemic. Explaining the coronavirus in a way that is appropriate for their age can also help reduce anxiety they may be feeling.
Be You promotes mental wellbeing from the early years to 18. It has useful resources about COVID-19. Educators can also connect via the Be You Early Learning Facebook page, join a national check in or a Be You Early Years Learning Community, and access In Focus webinar recordings that deal with a range of topics.
Here is a collection of resources to help schools and early childhood services support children at this time. Feel free to have a look at them, use them and refer parents and carers to them too.
Resources to support children’s wellbeing and resilience:
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and mental health: Supporting schools and Supporting early learning communities from Be You
- Talking to children about the COVID-19 pandemic and Managing routines for children during the COVID19 pandemic from Emerging Minds
- Relaxation exercises: Tools and tips for young people to learn to relax from Beyond Blue
- Thrive inside with Smiling Mind: Activities for mindfulness during COVID-19 from Smiling Mind
- Wellbeing Information and links to help support children’s wellbeing during COVID-19 from Tasmanian Department for Education
Resources to support children’s learning and active play:
- Sports cancelled. Now what? Ways kids can keep up their sports skills and stay active by the Department for Education
- GoNoodle: Active play and games
- Cosmic Kids Yoga Child-friendly, fun yoga activities
- Family, nature and COVID-19: A free online guide to support families during the COVID-19 pandemic by Nature Play SA
- 10 action songs for preschoolers
- 11 action nursery rhymes and songs
Information and support for families:
- Our learning SA: resources for learning from home by Department for Education, including advice for families
- Information for parents, carers and children about COVID-19: including simple books to explain coronavirus, by SA Health
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): family guide: information for families by raisingchildren.net.au
- Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service: support and information during this time by Beyond Blue
We will continue to keep you updated. Please contact us if you have any concerns, questions, or suggestions: (08) 8226 0077 or email: educationstandardsboard [at] sa.gov.au.