In December 2009, the state and federal governments agreed to a new National Quality Framework (NQF) for early childhood education and care.
The NQF aims to raise the quality of education and care services and encourage continuous improvement so there are better outcomes for children.
The NQF consists of three key elements:
- Education and Early Childhood Services (Registration and Standards) Act 2011 (SA), incorporating the Education and Care Services National Law (South Australia)
- Education and Care Services National Regulations 2011
The National Quality Standard
- Consists of seven quality areas
- Includes a national quality rating and assessment process with five different rating levels
Approved learning frameworks
- Belonging, being and becoming: The early years learning framework for Australia
- My time, our place: Framework for school age care in Australia
There are also guides for educators about these frameworks.
For more information about the National Quality Framework, see ACECQA’s website.